Marvel launches its new Thunderbolts team made up of superheroes working for the law.
Writer Jim Zub and artist Sean Izaakse offer readers a whole new Love at first sight miniseries in August. With Hawkeye Clint Barton as team leader, band members include Spectrum/Monica Rambeau, America Chavez, Power Man/Victor Alvarez, Persuasion and Gutsen Glory. A preview of the title’s first issue shows the Thunderbolts springing into action to apprehend metahumans attacking police officers with nearby civilians.
The Thunderbolts name was tarnished under former New York Mayor Wilson Fisk, aka the Kingpin. The last title to focus on the team was the Devil’s Reign: Villains for Hire mini-series, part of the reign of the devil event revolving around Fisk’s prohibition of superhuman activities in New York with the Powers Act. That’s why, when the Thunderbolts meet law enforcement in the preview, an officer says, “I thought the Avengers weren’t allowed in New York anymore.”
LIGHTNING STRIKES #1 (OF 5)
- JIM ZUB (F) • SEAN IZAAKSE (I)
- Cover A by David Nakayama
- cover B by SEAN IZAAKSE
- Variant Cover by Paulo SIQUEIRA
- VARIANT HEADSHOT COVER BY TODD NAUCK
- Trading Card Variant Cover by Stefano Caselli
- … LIKE LIGHTNING!
- Powerful crooks took hostages on Staten Island?
- A dimensional rift is opening in Chinatown?
- Monsters unleashed at the Met?
- Call the THUNDER!
- New York’s best are here to save the day —
- Hawkeye, Spectrum, America Chavez, Power Man, Persuasion and Gutsen Glory!
- You know ’em, you love ’em…they’re the Thunderbolts!
- In the aftermath of Devil’s Reign, the Big Apple is in big trouble, and it’s up to a new group of Thunderbolts to turn the tide. But when Clint Barton is tasked with leading this team and proving they can take on anything the Marvel Universe can throw at them, the first opponent he’ll have to face is himself.
- 40 PGS./Rated T…$4.99
During the events of reign of the devil, the Thunderbolts and villains like Doctor Octopus, Crossbones, Rhino and Abomination were deputized by Fisk and worked alongside officers with anti-superhuman weapons to bring down and stop the superheroes in the city, transforming the Avengers and others as targets. Some heroes were imprisoned during the event, such as Mr. Fantastic, the Invisible Woman, Moon Knight, Iron Fist Danny Rand, and Tony Stark. Because the Thunderbolts were made up of bad guys, they abused their legal power and the authority granted to them by Fisk.
After reign of the devil however, New York has a new mayor: Luke Cage. As the context of the issue indicates, Luke seeks to redeem the Thunderbolts name, forming a new version of the legally sanctioned superhero team. The new series and crew come at a time when some of its members have already joined the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with a Love at first sight movie on the way too.
Clint Barton has been around in the MCU since Jeremy Renner first appeared as an archer in Thor (2011). Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) and America Chavez (Xochitl Gomez) are new additions to the MCU, introduced in the Phase 4 projects Wanda Vision and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, respectively. Marvel Studios has officially announced a Love at first sight project at San Diego Comic-Con 2022, but who exactly will be on his team has not been revealed at the time of writing.
Love at first sight #1 is written by Zub with art by Izaakse, color by Java Tartaglia, and lettering by Joe Sabino of VC. The main cover is by Izaakse, Chris O’Halloran and David Nakayama, with variations of the cover contributed by Paulo Siqueira, Rachelle Rosenberg, Stefano Caselli and Federico Blee. The issue goes on sale August 31 from Marvel Comics.