Author JK Rowling has revealed why she wasn’t featured on HBO Max’s ‘Harry Potter’ reunion special in January.
Rowling told radio show host Graham Norton on Saturday that she had been asked to take part in the special which recognized the 20th anniversary of the first wizarding film.
Her absence led to speculation that repeated instances of the author’s controversial transphobic remarks led to her not being included in the special. People close to the special revealed Rowling’s anti-trans remarks weren’t a factor, however, Entertainment Weekly reported.
Rowling indicated that it was her choice not to participate in the special.
“I was asked to be on it, and I decided I didn’t want to do it,” she said. “I thought it was more about the movies than the books, rightly so. That was the point of the anniversary.
You can listen to an excerpt from Rowling’s interview with Norton below.
The author received an online death threat after commenting on the stabbing attack on writer Salman Rushdie earlier this month.
‘Horrible news’ The ‘Harry Potter’ author tweeted after learning of the attack. “I’m feeling very sick right now. Let it be alright. One Twitter user responded to Rowling saying, ‘Don’t worry, you’re next.’
The incident prompted Warner Bros., the studio behind the Potter films, to release a statement condemning the threat.
Rowling weighed in on her use of social media during her interview with Norton.
“I try to behave online the way I would like others to behave. … I’ve never threatened anyone, obviously, and I certainly wouldn’t want anyone going to their house or anything like that. “said Rowling.
“Social media can be a lot of fun, and I like the pitch aspect of ads. It can be a fun thing to do, but there is no doubt that social media is a gift for people who want to behave maliciously,” she added.